As we find ourselves in the midst of February, the winter season is still holding its grip on Virginia. While the days may be getting longer, the chill in the air remains, and it's essential to stay vigilant in protecting your comfort and safety in your rental home. Here are some timely reminders and tips to help you navigate the remaining weeks of winter:
Preparing for Potential Cold Snaps: While the official start of spring may be on the horizon, Virginia's weather can still deliver unexpected cold snaps. Be prepared by following these steps to prevent frozen pipes and ensure your heating system is ready to handle any dips in temperature:
- Close crawl space vents and secure crawl space doors to keep cold air out.
- Disconnect hoses from outside faucets and drain water lines to prevent freezing.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Let faucets drip during particularly cold nights to keep water flowing.
- Keep your home heated to a minimum of 65 degrees, even when you're away.
- Know the location of the main water shutoff in case of a pipe burst.
HVAC Maintenance: As we progress through the winter season, it's essential to keep your heating system running smoothly. Follow these guidelines when requesting maintenance or troubleshooting HVAC issues:
- If your heating system fails to operate, submit a work order promptly.
- Avoid placing a work order if the outdoor temperature is below 40 degrees and your thermostat is within 8 degrees of its set temperature, unless it remains that way for three days.
- Provide clear details and, if possible, photos when submitting work orders for HVAC-related issues.
- Respond promptly to any follow-up questions from maintenance to expedite repairs.
- Ensure your renters' insurance covers temporary relocation in case of system failure.
- Change your HVAC filters every two months to maintain efficiency.
Conclusion: As we navigate through February, let's remain vigilant in protecting our rental homes from the lingering winter chill. By following these tips and staying proactive, we can ensure a warm and safe living environment for everyone. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to our management team. Stay warm and safe!
Atlantic Sotheby's International Realty Property Management